Yondu is a natural liquid seasoning made by Sempio. It does not contain any animal ingredients, making it suitable for vegetarians. I recently discovered this treasure when Sempio sent me a sample. Without any prior knowledge or expectations, I tried it in one of my side dishes. The results were a pleasant surprise, so I have been doing more experimenting with it. My husband calls it “magic juice” because it makes everything taste better. (Just don’t drink it like a beverage.) LOL
The best Korean food gets its great flavor from using many ingredients to make dishes from scratch. For example, making soup with homemade broth has the best flavor, but it is a complex and time-consuming method of cooking. Therefore, if you are in a hurry, it would be great to have a shortcut. From my experience, I think Yondu provides that.
Yondu can be used as a flavor enhancer, substitute for certain ingredients, or it can be used to skip making broth from scratch. For example, it can be a substitute for fish sauce, or a small amount can be added to your food near the end of cooking, which will give your dish extra flavor.
Here is some information about Yondu from Sempio that I translated into English. I hope it is useful for you. 🙂
What Yondu is:
- It is liquid seasoning that is made mainly with soybean extract, vegetables (onions, garlic, leeks, etc.), sea salt, and water. These ingredients make dishes more flavorful and nutritious.
- The most important ingredient among them is soybeans. Soybeans are known as a healthy food. They have more flavorful components in them than other natural ingredients. Did you know that soybeans have more than three times as many flavorful components than beef, shiitake mushrooms, or dried shrimp, all of which are commonly used by Koreans to make good broth?
How Yondu is made:
- The type of environment and microorganisms used for the fermentation process will result in the product being different. The main ingredient for Yondu is soybean extract, which is made using three fermentation steps (seed malt fermentation, lactic-acid fermentation, and yeast fermentation.) Only soybeans, sea salt, and water are used in those processes.
- In addition to the soybean extract, they add a boiled down extract from some vegetables such as shiitake mushrooms, onions, garlic, Korean radishes, leeks, broccoli, etc.
- Meat ingredients are not used to make Yondu.
What is special about Yondu:
- It is delicious. Artificial flavor products rely on MSG (monosodium glutamate) or other chemicals to get better flavor, whereas Yondu uses Sempio’s fermenting skills and natural ingredients for the savory flavor.
- It is healthy. It contains no synthetic additives such as l-monosodium glutamate, synthetic preservatives, artificial colorings, etc. It also does not contain sugar, dextrin, or beef tallow.
- It is mom’s choice. In a study of 366 Korean mothers, who have been using MSG in their cooking, 99% said they would start using Yondu in their cooking after trying it. 53.3% said they would replace MSG with Yondu. 45.8% said they will use Yondu in addition to MSG. Only 0.8% said they will not buy Yondu.
Where can Yondu be used:
- Use it to add Korean flavor to soups and other dishes as a natural flavor enhancer.
How to use Yondu and storage:
- Add 4g (½ tsp.) of it, per serving, at the end of cooking.
- Refrigerate after opening.
Where to buy:
I recommend this product. In my future recipes, I will mention if this product is a good match. If you would like to try this product, stay tuned to Aeri’s Kitchen for an upcoming event. 😉